Exploration ‘17 Field School
Sudbury, Ontario • October 16-20, 2017
The study area of the Exploration ‘17 field school will be Vale’s WD-16 polymetallic deposit, north of Sudbury, Ontario.
Numerous geophysical methods and geochemistry have already covered this undeveloped deposit and this field school will present a unique opportunity for the attendees to integrate the geology of a deposit with geophysics and geochemistry.
The Field School will be held at Vale Technical Building in Sudbury as well as on site at th WD-16 deposit. Field school attendees will be lodged at a local hotel in Sudbury.
The WD-16 polymetallic deposit is located 45 minutes north of Sudbury and the trainees
will be transported to the project site from Sudbury and back.
During the five days of the field school, the following presentations and field demonstrations will be given; either on the grounds of the Vale Technical Building or at the WD-16 project site. Demonstrations of modern exploration equipment will be conducted by major industry suppliers.
- The geology of the Sudbury Igneous Complex
- Ground magnetics and its applications and results on the WD-16 project
- Ground gravity and its applications and results on the WD-16 project
- Induced polarisation and its applications and results on the WD-16 project
- Physical properties and their applications and results on the WD-16 project
- Airborne electromagnetics and its applications and results on the WD-16 project
- Ground electromagnetics and its applications and results on the WD-16 project
- Geochemistry of the WD-16 project
In addition to the field school material, synthetic maps of all the geophysical methods, geology and geochemistry, as applied on the WD-16 project, will be handed out to the attendees, and Vale will give each attendee a copy of Dr. Peter Lightfoot’s book titled Nickel Sulfide Ores and Impact Melts, Origin of the Sudbury Igneous Complex, published by Elsevier, 2017.
The registration fee includes a hotel room for 4 nights in Sudbury, breakfast and box lunch during the field school, a farewell dinner, local transportation and the return bus fare between Toronto and Sudbury. The group will depart from Toronto in the morning on Monday, October 16 and return in the afternoon on Friday October 20.
We look forward to seeing you.
Richard Lachapelle B.Sc. P.Eng.
Field School Chair